LVM installation

I'm installing Debian with LVM support onto a notebook PC using the MINI-CD
installation that I pulled from the Debian website.

It works so far, I just want to share what I've done....

I have found that I can do this successfully with the following four partitions:
/dev/hda1: /boot: 10MB  ( I should have set this to 20MB )
/dev/hda2: swap : 128MB
/dev/hda3: /    : 256MB
/dev/hda4: LVM  : "Remainder ~17GB" (this is type 8e)

Install the kernel and base.  But do skip the tasksel and dselect options
during the install.

reboot.

I found at this point that I didn't actually need to include any Device
Drivers to support my eepro100 network card.  This was unexpected.

At this point I have a bootable system that is minimalistic at best.

In order to get LVM working I installed the following:

apt-get install lvm10 lvm-common kernel-image-2.4.18-686
kernel-pcmcia-modules-2.4.18-686

and edit /etc/lilo.conf and /etc/kernel-img.conf as suggested by popping into
a second tty terminal.
(notebook requires the pcmcia for support, otherwise just skip)

Once this is finished, you have to reboot again to pick up on the new 2.4.
kernel.  This is required as the 2.2 kernel doesn't support LVM without
patches and other ugliness.

And then you have to run vgscan to get things rolling.

(my hard drive is hda, my cdrom is hdc)

I haven't quit gotten everything in devfsd to work as I expected, I do not have extended device names (No /dev/ide/... only /dev/hdaX) and I am not certain as to why.

However, I do have a working system with this approach and I have only the first two partitions, / and /boot, which are not LVM.
--
"Well I don't see why I have to make one man miserable when I can make so many
men happy."