Securing networks

Hello all

Am going to move house soon, and want to re-setup my network again, as I want to install debian on the network server which is currently RedHat (DHCP, DNS, proxy etc). But I'm quite worried about security, and want to know the best ways to find out how to secure the network. I've a hardware Linksys router/firewall with a WLAN access point built in. As I know WEP is as secure as a biscuit, how should I setup and secure the WLAN network? And how should I protect my wired network - also I'd like to be able to "log in" my main PC from outside, such as work or at friends house?

Thanks very much for your help in advance

Cheers - Piers