Re: Debian and KDE

William Bradley wrote:

I am using the latest Debian woody and installed KDE. The Kppp dialer was not part of the install so I apt-get installed kppp. When I went to use it the following was the response:

"KDE Init coult not launch 'Kppp': Could not find 'Kppp' executable"

Can anyone help me with this?
Are you in the dialout group? (Or is it dialup? Or dip? I forget; it's been a while since I was on dialup.)

During Debian's initial installation, I set up a dialup. What utility uses that information to make the connection?
I'm guessing that was pppconfig, which sets up the connection for pon and poff ("ppp-on" and "ppp-off").

Finally, when I log out of KDE, it takes me back to the initial Debian login screen (graphical). The only way I can see to close down altogether is CTRL-ALT-F3, where I have to login as root and close with: "shutdown -h now".
Is there a less complicated way of getting Debian closed down?

You're probably running the older KDE from Stable; the newer KDE from unstable has a menu on the login screen for shutting down, rebooting, etc. There may be an option to turn on this feature in the older KDE; look in KDE's Control Panel thingy for something like "Log On Options" or somesuch.

Hopefully others can give your more specific answers; but this might at least get you guessing in the right direction.

--
Kent