Re: Linux - CDR

Hello

Wayne Gemmell (<wayneg@ananzi.co.za>) wrote:

> Have you gotten K3B to work for regular users? I get the error
>
> <error>
> Unable to find cdrecord executable
> K3b uses cdrecord to actually write cds. Without cdrecord K3b won't be
> able to properly initialize the writing devices.
> Solution: Install the cdrtools package which contains cdrecord.
> </error>
>
> changing privileges from
> -rws--x---    1 root     cdrecord      142 Jul 10 14:16
> /usr/bin/cdrecord to
> -rwxr-x---    1 root     cdrecord      142 Jul 10 14:16
> /usr/bin/cdrecord
>
> outputs the message
> <error>
> cdrecord does not run with root privileges
> cdrecord needs to run with root privileges to be able to access the cd
> devices, use real time scheduling, and set a non-standard fifo buffer.
> This is also true when using SuSE's resmgr.
> Solution: Use K3bSetup to solve this problem.
> </error>
>
> And running K3bSetup just reverts the permissions to
>
> -rws--x---    1 root     cdrecord      142 Jul 10 14:16
> /usr/bin/cdrecord so I'm back where I started.
> Also whats the s in the perms(above)? i.e. rws and how is it set?

The "s" means that if executed, the cdrecord program will not run with
your user id, but with the user id of the owner of cdrecord, which is
root. Removing the suid bit (setting executable permissions ftom s to x
as you did) results in the error message "cdrecord does not run with
root privileges. To set it on a file, you can use chmod u+s. This can
also be used for the group a file belongs to (but this is not necessary
for cdrecord).

On my system, I did not change any file permissions with K3b. On normal
Debian systems it is  not necessary because they already have a group
for CD writing. It is called "cdrom". Normal permissions for cdrecord
are:

-rws--x---    1 root     cdrom

If you want the K3b setup with the cdrecord group, make sure you are
member in that group because otherwise you cannot execute cdrecord. The
same is true if you use the standard setup with the cdrom group. If you
add your user id to a group, you will have to log out and log in again
to apply the change.

If your cdrecord executable still cannot be found afterwards, try to
reconfigure the path K3b expects programs to be (something like
Options/Programs in K3b).

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

--