time mag on sobig.f and msblaster

Hi everyone

I didn't notice either of the two viruses (note: viruses not virii, viri or
even viria) much. Just the odd email can with it and it did not do much to my
linux system. But still when I opened time this morning I found this article
of the subject interesting:

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1101030901-477922-2,00.html

this is the first paragraph that a linux user might find interesting:

Security experts are willing to cut Microsoft a lot of slack. In some ways,
they say, Windows is a victim of its success. if rival operating systems like
Linux or Mac OS had a 95% market share, the virus writers would be hard at
work probing them for holes. Whether they would find as many is a different
question altogether. Linux and, to a lesser extent, Mac OS are open source,
which means they're subject to constant peer review by engineers and software
writers all over the world. The energy that goes into finding fault with
Windows exists in the Linux world too, but it's focused on making the code
better. To help stave off the competitive threat from Linux, Microsoft
recently allowed several governments across the world to take a peek at the
precious Windows source code but is unlikely to go fully open source anytime
soon.

Perhaps the most amusing part this the suggestion that open-source is the only
way to go with software.

pete