From: Ron Johnson [mailto:ron.l.johnson@cox.net]
Sent: Wednesday, August 27, 2003 12:35 PM
To: Debian-User
Subject: Re: COBOL compiler

On Wed, 2003-08-27 at 06:41, Pigeon wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 26, 2003 at 07:53:34PM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:

> > [snip]
[snip]

> > You might want to try Python as a prototyping, and even
implementation,
> > language.  It has many graphics libraries that are coded in C for
> > speed.  Thus, you get the benefits of a VHLL plus a LLL (low level
> > language) when speed is needed.
>
> Is there any reason why any of these complex scripting languages have
> to be interpreted, as opposed to compiled?
>
> Some quite complex packages are around which have been written in
> such languages; Perl seems to be both common and expensive. It would
[snip]

> To me, it seems that the obvious solution is to run the script through
> a Perl compiler, and produce a binary executable that should execute
> at the same order of speed as any other compiled HLL code. Why is this
> not done? Is it simply that nobody's bothered to write a Perl
> compiler, or is there some infelicity in the design of Perl that makes
> it impractical?

Can't say about Perl, but attempts at a Python compiler have only
been partially successful, because Python is so dynamic.

Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@cox.net
Jefferson, LA USA

"I have created a government of whirled peas..."
Maharishi Mahesh Yogi, 12-May-2002, CNN, Larry King Live