Re: Kernel Upgrade Problems

Nick,

>> When I tried insmod 8139too (the module for the network card), I get a
>> number of unresolved symbol errors.
>
>What happens if you 'modprobe 8139too'?

That one made me think - the error indicated that it could not find the
hardware.

Did an lspci and noticed that the kernel had not detected the PCI bus (this
is a Shuttle SS40G system, which has 99% of things onboard, like network
etc, and only 2 pci slots). I remembered I had a simialiar problem
installing Mandrake Cooker on this machine before I opted for Debian, so
tried the same trick (added append="pci=bios,biosirq" to the lilo.conf) and
bingo - it all works :)

Thanks Nick (and thanks for coping with my ignorance of Linux - Getting
better, slowly ;)).

Andy