Re: ircII behind proxy/firewall - how?

On Wednesday 27 August 2003 15:55, Alphonse Ogulla wrote:
> On Wednesday 27 August 2003 12:02, Alphonse Ogulla wrote:
> > My connection to the net is via a proxy server. It also appears port 6667
> > on the same machine is blocked. Just wondering, is it possible to use
> > ircii chat client from behind a squid proxy? Is there such a thing as irc
> > over http?
>
> running nmap against the proxy server produced these results.
>
> atlas:~# nmap -sS -p1-15000 -oN nmap.txt 192.168.1.22
>
> Starting nmap V. 2.54BETA31 ( www.insecure.org/nmap/ )
>
> Interesting ports on  (192.168.1.22):
> (The 14990 ports scanned but not shown below are in state: closed)
> Port       State       Service
> 23/tcp     open        telnet
> 53/tcp     open        domain
> 80/tcp     open        http
> 111/tcp    open        sunrpc
> 199/tcp    open        smux
> 943/tcp    open        unknown
> 1024/tcp   open        kdm
> 1026/tcp   open        nterm
> 6000/tcp   open        X11
> 8080/tcp   open        http-proxy
>
> Nmap run completed -- 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 195 seconds
> atlast:~#
> Do you see any hope in getting ircII to work?

maybe not ircII but other solutions exist, for example on www.ircnet.org you
can open a cgi based irc client which runs over http. Some proxy servers
allow irc connections thru them (but i've only seen that happen in mIRC).
There are also irc daemons that listen on other ports than 6667 e.g. 8080
which might not be blocked all depends on the configuration of the
proxy/firewall .... just try until you find something that works.

hth
--
http://www.de-brauwer.be