Re: ssh tunneling

Quoting P. Kallakuri <praveen@unlserve.unl.edu>:
> Joyce, Matthew wrote:
> >>i am not able to connect to a vnc-server thats running behind the
> >>firewall. i know that the vncserver is running because i can open
> >>vncviewers from other clients behind the firewall. but when i
> >>ssh to the
> >>gateway from localhost@some-internet-domain with the -L
> >>5903:vncserver:5903 option and forward from the gateway to
> >>the vncserver
> >>using another ssh -L ..., i am not able to connect to the
> >>vncserver at
> >>port 5903 on localhost. with a RealVNC viewer, i get an error like
> >>"channel 2 or 4: administratively prohibited" and with

I get a similar response with the svncviewer.  The error message on
the SSH connection is:

channel 2: open failed: connect failed: Connection refused

The svncviewer error is:

/usr/bin/svncviewer.real: read failed

This works if I use the Class C address of the VNC server in the SSH
port forwarding.  It fails if I use the Internet (public) address of
the firewall.  The firewall forwards port 22 to the VNC server.

Jeffrey