Re: CUPS - really did it now

Hi Tom,

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 18:27:39 -0400
Tom Allison <tallison@tacocat.net> wrote:

> I removed the package lpd.  Now I can't print to cups.  Before this,
> and currently, I have cupsys-bsd installed, but no information on how
> it's supposed to work.  /usr/share/doc/cupsys-bsd is a little sparse.

cupsys-bsd is just a compatibility frontend to allow use of CUPS via
lpr, lprm, and friends.  Check out the man page for lpr for starters.

> It would seem that I might need to reinstall lpd.  no...  Then
> cupsys-client and cupsys-bsd get listed for removal and I really don't
> want that.

Correct. lpd is a full print spooling package.  cupsys-bsd is just a
facade so that old apps can use the lp commands.

> So I thought maybe there was something in the /etc/printcap file that
> might be of some significance.

Interesting.  On my client system, my /etc/printcap is a symlink to
/var/run/cups/printcap.  You might try backing up your file and creating
that link.

> I had a remote printer defined from
> way back (years) and it was pointed to an IP address that was no
> longer in use.  So I don't think there is much there.
>
> my line printer doesn't work.
> I don't think Open Office does either, but right now I can't even get
> it to load...

Start by verifying that CUPS works, then deal with the lpr commands
later.  If your client is picking up IPP broadcasts from the server, you
should see the server's printers in the *client's* CUPS web page.  If
that much works, it's pretty easy to go from there.
--
Todd Pytel

Signature attached
PGP Key ID 77B1C00C