Re: Tool for sending Windows popup messages?

* Carlos Sousa (csousa@tvtel.pt) [030826 07:25]:
> On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 18:53:47 -0700 Vineet Kumar wrote:
> > * Joe Emenaker (joe@emenaker.com) [030825 17:03]:
> > > Is there some Debian tool that would let me specify an IP and a
> > > message and it would handle the delivery without making me bother
> > > with finding out the NetBIOS name, etc.?
> >
> > Did you try smbclient's -I option?
>
> Seems to need the netbios name all the same.

I haven't tried it, so I could be wrong, but:

       -I IP-address
              IP address is the address of the server to connect to. It should
              be specified in standard "a.b.c.d" notation.

              Normally the client would attempt to  locate  a  named  SMB/CIFS
              server  by  looking it up via the NetBIOS name resolution mecha-
              nism described above in the name resolve order parameter  above.
-->           Using  this  parameter  will force the client to assume that the
-->           server is on the machine with the specified IP address  and  the
-->           NetBIOS  name  component of the resource being connected to will
-->           be ignored.

              There is no default for this parameter. If not supplied, it will
              be determined automatically by the client as described above.

... then so is the man page.

good times,
Vineet
--