Re: ssh tunneling

On Mon, Aug 25, 2003 at 01:51:37PM -0500, P. Kallakuri wrote:
> i am not able to connect to a vnc-server thats running behind the
> firewall. i know that the vncserver is running because i can open
> vncviewers from other clients behind the firewall. but when i ssh to the
> gateway from localhost@some-internet-domain with the -L
> 5903:vncserver:5903 option and forward from the gateway to the vncserver
> using another ssh -L ..., i am not able to connect to the vncserver at
> port 5903 on localhost. with a RealVNC viewer, i get an error like
> "channel 2 or 4: administratively prohibited" and with TightVNC, i get
> just a connection failure. nmap output for the gateway after the port
> 5903 forwarding gives the same results as above. but for the vncserver
> behind the firewall, everything seems ok:

I don't think your firewall is causing the problem.

It appears to me that you are setting up the SSH tunnel correctly.  So
if you are tunneling port 5903 from the client machine to port 5903 on
the vnc server, then you should run vncserver like so:

vncserver :3

And then to connect from the client you would connect to localhost:3,
NOT localhost:5903

Paul