Re: Stripped down versions of software

On Mon, 25 Aug 2003, Piers Kittel wrote:
> I'm installing debian on a 486 laptop, and want to use it for X, IRC, www and
> email, so which window manager is best to use for the 100MHz laptop with 20mb
> RAM, and which IRC, WWW and email clients would also be good to use here?

First of all, google for what type of memory your laptop can take and
how much it can take, then hit ebay.  Trust me - X is greedy.  If you
can get 64M or 96M you'll be happier then with 16M.

Programs:

Window Manager:  fluxbox, blackbox, openbox, fvwm, ratpoison
	(ratpoison is an interesting window manager since it is very
	minimal and maximizes each window - I find it useful for 640x480
	resolutions, but at 800x600, lines get too long in terminals for
	my tastes)

	A quick search of apt-cache also shows:
		aewm and aewm++, icewm-lite, and sapphire

IRC:	I like irssi-text, but for true minimalism, look at tinyirc

WWW:	For graphical websites, I like galeon, but it is memory greedy
	(and will load gtk libraries).  Dillo is probably a better
	choice.

	For non-graphical, check out w3m or lynx.

Mail:	I love mutt, but it can be a tad slow, especially for large
	maildirs.  However, the binary is only half a meg.  There is
	also (non-free but free as in beer) pine.

Also, check out `ash' as a substitute for bash if you aren't using
bash's features.  `rxvt' uses less memory then xterm, and `screen' is a
heck of a program.  If you are interested in IM programs, either
check out `bitlbee' (see my sig for details) or `centericq' for terminal
based IM clients.

Btw, by sticking to a lot of command line apps and trying to get things
done, you'll have a good opertunity to pick up the basics of linux/unix
commands.

~ Jesse Meyer

--
Nifty linux apps:
  bitlbee   : use your favorite IRC client to interface with aim, icq, msn