Re: What to expect after XP installation on the other disc

 --- Craig Genner <craig@gennerfam.freeserve.co.uk> escribió:
> On Monday 25 Aug 2003 8:56 am, Joris Huizer wrote:
> > Hello everybody,
> >
> > The computer I'm using has two hard discs:
> >  /dev/hda Windows ME
> >  /hev/hdb Linux Debian
> >
> > Because Windows ME is slow and buggy, my dad wants to
> > replace it with XP;
> > What are the risks - will XP mess with the boot loader
> > or something? Is there more I should be affraid of?
>
> XP will mess with the boot loader, no question about that.  I have my boot
> loader (Grub) and linux OS on my first disk and windows on the second disk.
>
> That way when I have to reinstall windows I just unplug the first disk,
> reinstall and it only messes with the second disks boot loader.  Plug the
> first disk back in and away I go.
>
> Try and get your boot loader working on the second disk, swap the disks
> round.
> Then Linux will be on the first disk, windows on the second.  With the first
> disk booting windows on the second disk, when you have to reinstall windows
> you wont have to worry about losing your boot loader.
>
> If you want to be able to write to windows from linux I sugest that you use
> fat32, not ntfs as the file system in windows.

I'm sorry but that is so the hard way.  Just make a boot disk (test it to make
sure it works).  Install XP, which will take back over the MBR.  Boot with
the boot disk and rerun either /sbin/lilo or /sbin/grub-reinstall (or whatever
its called).  This assumes that you already have and entry lilo.conf or
grub.conf pointing to /dev/hda1 as a boot option.

If the boot disc does not work, burn a Knoppix CD.  After the XP upgrade,
boot Knoppix, mount your Debian partition, and use chroot to reinstall
GRUB or LILO.

No need to open up the case and start crewing with cables for no reason.

-Roberto

Yahoo! Messenger - Nueva versión GRATIS
http://messenger.yahoo.es