Re: Permissions on a vfat partition

On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 09:33:28 -0600
Brian Gonzales <gonzales@thuntek.net> wrote:

> On Sun, 2003-08-24 at 09:08, Johann Koenig wrote:
> >
> > It gets covered *many* times because no-one is willing to get over
> > to dejanews.com or the debian-user archives and do a quick search.
> > It does not merit any discussion. A quick read of the man pages
> > and/or usenet is quite sufficient.
>
> Why then do lists like this survive? If *everything's* been discussed
> once, then lists like this would die. It's called dialog.

Because there are always new issues/topics to discuss, such as new
programs, new hardware, and of course, new bugs. Conversely, getting old
hardware to work with some new things.

Dialog does not result from telling people how to do simple things over
and over again. This list does not "survive" because the same topics get
brought up over and over, but rather because it is a useful forum for
new/obscure problems.

> Oh, and man pages are practically useless.

I find them quite useful. I took a college course on Linux last fall.
Once I got past the initial install, I taught myself just about
everything. A lot of what I know came from man pages. Equally important
has been usenet, mailing lists, and HOWTO's
--
-johann koenig
Now Playing: Garbage - As Heaven Is Wide : Garbage