Re: Debian install fails on Intel P4C800 w/ WD800J drive (but Redhat 9 is ok)

 --- "Murray J. Brown" <mjb@witstone.com> escribió:
> Hi,
>
> I've tried to install both Woody 3.0r1 & Sarge (2003-07-27) from an
> ATAPI CDROM (40x/AKU) onto a PC with a new Intel P4C800 Deluxe
> motherboard, a 200GB WD Serial ATA drive and a 80GB (WD800JB-00ETA0)
> drive, but the install process just hangs while probing (or simply
> I thought it might be the S-ATA support, so I disconnected that drive
> but the probing still consistently fails at the 33.3% mark while trying
> to detect the remaining IDE drives, even after trying various
> permutations of BIOS settings.
>
> Redhat 9 installs cleanly so I know the hardware works. However, I'd
> rather use Debian for consistency across all my systems (now that I've
> eradicated Windoze).
>
> Suggestions anyone?  Any help will be appreciated.
>
> Thanks! ...mjb

A good way to get around it is boot Knoppix, and either install it to the
harddrive or do a chroot install of Debian.  The Knoppix harddrive install
is HUGE (2-3 GB).  The Debian chroot install lets you choose exactly which
version (Woody, Sarge or Sid) you want.  Just to a google search for
"debian chroot install" and you will find several related docs.

The problem may be related to the kernel.  I believe RH9 shipped with 2.4.20
or 2.4.21, while Woody shipped with 2.4.18.  If that is the case (that the
Debian kernel is too old to properly support your chipset) just grab the
kernel-source-2.4.21 from unstable or the lates stable kernel from kernel.org
and build it.  The more recent kernel will probably fix the problem.

-Roberto

Yahoo! Messenger - Nueva versión GRATIS
http://messenger.yahoo.es