Debian install fails on Intel P4C800 w/ WD800J drive (but Redhat 9 is ok)

Hi,

I've tried to install both Woody 3.0r1 & Sarge (2003-07-27) from an
ATAPI CDROM (40x/AKU) onto a PC with a new Intel P4C800 Deluxe
motherboard, a 200GB WD Serial ATA drive and a 80GB (WD800JB-00ETA0)
drive, but the install process just hangs while probing (or simply
I thought it might be the S-ATA support, so I disconnected that drive
but the probing still consistently fails at the 33.3% mark while trying
to detect the remaining IDE drives, even after trying various
permutations of BIOS settings.

Redhat 9 installs cleanly so I know the hardware works. However, I'd
rather use Debian for consistency across all my systems (now that I've
eradicated Windoze).

Suggestions anyone?  Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks! ...mjb