Re: LILO ! framebuffer

On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 00:01:59 -0400, Paul M Foster <paulf@quillandmouse.com> wrote:

Installation: Debian 3.0r1, kernel 2.4.16tsc, very old video card, so no weird nvidia drivers or anything. This is a machine I'm converting over from Red Hat 6.2. I'll searched for "framebuffer" in the Debian User archives for the last six months, and don't see the answer to this question.

On boot, I'm getting the framebuffer, with the little colored Tux in the upper lefthand corner of the screen. I don't want that, I want Linux to talk directly to my video card. I've tried vga=ask and vga=0 in Lilo, and neither works (vga=ask does indeed ask me, though). I thought I'd fixed this on other machines with vga=0, but it does not work with this one. Anyone know how to make the framebuffer and Tux go away?

Paul

Edit lilo.conf and add the line:

append="video=vga16:off"

And rerun lilo.