Re: root login How ???

charlie derr wrote:
It's probably not a full and complete answer to your question, but I find what works for me is to log in to the graphical user environment of your choice as a regular user and then execute "su" in one of the terminals (xterm, gnome-terminal, konsole, whatever...) inside the gui (not "su -"). I can then execute a graphical program (as root) by initiating it from that terminal.

    hth,
        ~c

Victory wrote:

I found out that after debian 3.0r1 installed,
try to login as root and passwd at the GNOME Desktop Manager
and it said " The system administrator is not allowed to login form this
screen"
How to login with root account to run some utility from graphic mode ???

  some additional info:

su (or su -) to root and run xauth merge ~user/.Xauthority (where user is the name of the user that is running X server), yuou can use xauth to give other user access to X server as well (they have to have read access to .Xauthority)

  add user to sudoers and run sudo programThatRequiresRoot

DO NOT DO THIS: xhost + (everybody can use the X server), man xhost for more info, but really, don't use this unless you really want it that way (security)

	erik