Re: /etc/rc.boot

In article <[🔎] 20030821183755.GB15848@diamond.madduck.net>,
martin f krafft  <madduck@debian.org> wrote:
>-=-=-=-=-=-
>
>also sprach Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org> [2003.08.21.1554 +0200]:
>> Why not just write a single script, /etc/init.d/local or something,
>> which you add to as necessary?
>
>also sprach David Z Maze <dmaze@debian.org> [2003.08.21.1734 +0200]:
>> So create a single /etc/init.d/local script, copying
>
>[...]
>
>Because I was actually more wondering why Debian is deprecating
>rc.boot. Isn't it useful? I would definitely prefer it...

Because rc.boot was run in between /etc/rcS.d and /etc/rc[1-6].d,
and usually you want to run local stuff as the *last* thing
during boot, so you can be sure all standard services (like NIS,
if you use that, NFS, etc) are up and running.

To create a "local" rc script:

# cp /etc/init.d/skeleton /etc/init.d/local
# vi /etc/init.d/local
# chmod 755 /etc/init.d/local
# update-rc.d local defaults 80

.. that's all.