Re: Backup mail server?

On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 10:00:36 +0900,
Bengt Thure'e <bengt@zag.att.ne.jp> wrote in message
<[🔎] 3F456B34.8090307@zag.att.ne.jp>:

> Hej,
>
> I am thinking of creating my own mailserver, but I have
> one problem which I would like to get some advice for how
> to solve.
>
> What I am planning:
> -------------------
> Configure a mailserver which will have pop/imap as well as
> web mail access. Users will be my family and some friends.
>
> Problem - small
> ---------------
> Can I configure a backup mail server somewhere, just in case
> this one crashes? Or is it not needed, since mail will be resend?
>
> Problem - Big
> -------------
> I will be without computers for a month or two, and consequently
> no mail server for that time. Any suggestion for a solution?
>
> Tentativ solution
> -----------------
> My brother has a fixed IP address, but he is not a linux guy.
> I am considering asking him to install a plain debian installation,
> and then SSH to the box and configure it to be a backup mail
> server, to forward mails to the main server every 2 hours or so.
> And possible to activate pop/imap web access for the mails if
> the main server have long term problems.
>
> Any comments or suggestions?

..your brother will need a good firewall, I use ipcop(.org)-1.3.0,
is a stand-alone-firewall distro, 20MB download, needs its own box,
I use an old P90 with 96MB ram.

..put your brother on the firewalls "green" net, and set up your
mail server in the dmz.

..an one-box solution: debian on your new shiny server, set up
shorewall(.net)-1.4.6_20030813 or newer on it, set your brother
up on its "green" nic.

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: