Re: X11 with different keyboards

On Thu, 21 Aug 2003, Christian Lynbech wrote:

> Secondly, is there any other way to switch keyboard layout on the fly
> under X11 (just like I can with `loadkeys' on the console) other than
> generating a set of command files for xmodmap?

See the webpage at

http://irg.cs.ohiou.edu/~eblanton/i18n/russkb.html

It's for russian/qwerty layout, but it should work for everything.

Just keep in mind there is an error in it, down the page:

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Keyboard0"
    Driver     "keyboard"
    Option     "XkbLayout"  "ru"
    Option     "XkbOptions" "ctrl:nocaps,grp:shift_toggle"
EndSection

The line

Option     "XkbLayout"  "ru"

should be replaced by

Option     "XkbLayout"  "us,ru"

of course replace "us,ru" with the two layouts you want. Then just shift
with shift+shift.

wfg,

Gaspard