Re: [question] debian where two AMD cpus...

Hi!

I have used Windows Server, just now will change my OS with Debian.

My system is AMD(opteron) two cpus and data bus, 32 bits and 64 bits.
I used this system for calculating heavy load, such as differential equations.

I want to know whether Debian is proper to my system?
Moreover, which debian (woody or potato) is proper?
However, I can not find any information about adaptation on debian on your homepage.

How about your view?

Thanks.
bye~
N...
There seems not to be a x86-64(opteron) port right know. I think I've read something abaut it, but don't remember. You probably will have to try the suse ditributon (I don't like it at all, but...) as they officialy are porting linux to the opteron platform. Of course you can use debian-i386 but you will not have all the 64-bit features of the opteron, unless you start to recompile what you need. I don't know, but it could be enough to make a x86-64-kernel, which should be possible, and maybe the libc. After that you can should be able to compile your number-crunching code with 64-bit support and run it nicely, but I really don't know. You should also to take into account that you probably will need a compiler (FORTRAN?), unless gcc suits all your needs.

Regards

--
Andreas Fromm