Re: possible to extract .cab files under linux?

on Tue, Aug 19, 2003 at 08:09:50PM +1000, Damien Solley (dsolley@student.usyd.edu.au) wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-08-19 at 19:11, Lukasz Szift Hejnak wrote:
> > I was seeking a way to extract cab files too and found two
> >
> > 1) you can get your self any bootable win disk
> > and use it's tools (boot it with cd access and then exec win98/extract.exe),
> > but then again if you don't have any 'fat' partitions,
> > all you will be able to access is a floppy,
> > for some it's enough
> >
> > 2)You can download the winrar 3.20 for linux:
> > http://www.rarlab.com/rar/rarlinux-3.2.0.tar.gz

>  $ apt-cache search cabinet
> cabextract - a program to extract Microsoft Cabinet files
> lcab - Create MS Cabinet (.cab) files.
>
> Maybe these might be of assistance? And prevent you the need to reboot!

cabextract does indeed assualt most, but not all, CAB files.  This is
(as most legacy MS Windows "standards" something of a moveable feast
specification, and there are files I've not been able to open in the
past, though most recent attempts have been successful (say, past 12-18
months).  Definitely worth a shot.

Peace.

    Reform three-strikes:  stop jailing nonviolent offenders.
    http://www.amend3strikes.org/