Re: ip changed after sometime using dhcp

On Tue, Aug 19, 2003 at 10:16:29PM -0600, Jacob Anawalt wrote:
> likely comming from the server. You could ask them if the length of the
> lease you are getting is what they intended, and maybe provide some
> reasons for increasing the lease. I would be frustrated having the lease
> expire while the system was still running (unless I'm running 24 hours a
> day, in which case I'm glad when it doesn't expire). If it's more often
> than that and the IT people are at all concerned about keeping track of
> who had what address when (for looking into trouble reports) they must
> have a large log/database.
>
> You are saying that mid-session your connections from your DHCP'd
> workstation to the remote system get dropped because the ip address
> changes, right?
>
> Maybe there's a vpn solution that could work for you. I know that
> usually cycling a network interface (ifdown/ifup) doesn't drop ssh
> connections when the ip addresses on each end stay the same. Since the
> vpn ip addresses can be configured to be the same each time the tunnel
> is brought up, having that interface cycle (if needed) when the DHCP
> lease is renewed might work for you.
>
> I'm running dhclient from the dhcp-client 2.0pl5-15. It has a file
> /etc/dhclient-script which is suppose to execute
> /etc/dhclient-exit-hooks if that script exists. It seems that the hooks
> to send an email or cycle a vpn tunnel could be written into
> dhclient-exit-hooks for the RENEW, REBIND, BOUND and REBOOT situations.
> Hopefully dhcp-client 3.x has these features as well.
>
> I haven't looked into doing any of this since my lease has lasted over a
> year.
>
> Good luck with the setup. I hope there's a vpn or some other virtual
> interface or easier solution that works for you.
>
> Jacob
> jacob@cachevalley.com

Thanks a lot for the detailed explanation. Yes, there is a vpn that I
can use, but the admin configured it that when you login it will
disable LAN, which means I can't make my computer as a ftp server,
that's inconvenient for me. I find someone else suggest using dyndns.org
as a solution, I will try it out later.

Regards,
--
Zeng Nan