Re: Unicode: is it safe to use it ?

On Wed, 2003-08-20 at 00:59, Xavier Maillard wrote:
--snip--
> Hmm, would you mind expanding on how you did set it globally ? I am
> quite interested even though it is not my main problem for instance.

Quite simple actually. 'dpkg-reconfigure locales'

Personally, I use en_US.UTF8, sr_YU.UTF8, sr_YU.UTF8@cyrillic.

If you like strictly numeric time/date displays, that's all that's
needed. I prefer to have the date shown with full names of months, so I
have LC_TIME set to 'C' in my .bashrc.

> >  problems I have are when using a plain (i.e. not xterm) console, some
> >  characters don't display correctly. But for communication with
> >  others, I've never had a problem.
>
> That's ok for me. But are M$ MUA and others (i.e. Eudora and things like
> that) ready to deal with Unicode yet ? Actually I don't really want not
> to be understand by a M$ user (I have dozen friends of mine under the
> dark side of the Force ;)).

I'm pretty sure that most MUA's, M$ and otherwise, already have full
Unicode support. Any MUA that's used anywhere outside of the US would
pretty much HAVE to have it in order to be used seriously. On the off
chance that they don't, however, you don't really have to worry about
it. All regular ASCII characters (i.e. all characters in the English
alphabet) will still show up fine.

--
Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837