Re: Unicode: is it safe to use it ?

Robert Storey <y2kbug@ms25.hinet.net> writes:

>  On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 19:37:29 +0200 Xavier Maillard
>  <zedek@gnu-rox.org>
>  wrote:
>
> >  It seems that 10 years after its creation, Unicode is not as used
> >  as it should be (my opinion) and so, I am not sure many software
> >  (communication software) are "aware" of Unicode stuff. Except
> >  bloated
>  piece of software such as Outlook, is there any risk I can encounter
>  by using utf-8 in my daily default encoding system ?
>
>  Dear Xavier,
>
>  I'd be interested to know how to use Unicode as the default
>  system. You mean just by setting the locale, or is there more? I'd be
>  interested in setting up all my apps to use it, and would report back
>  (on this list) how well it worked (or didn't work).

Actually this was not my intention :) Err.. I mean I can do it
partially but my main attempt would be first to have it set to UTF-8 for
my mail/usenets exchange.

But why not, in a near future, I could be interested to just migrate
definetely and get rid of all this bad mixture iso-soup encoding.

So to ask again: is it safe to use any subset of the Unicode system to
communicate on Usenets and more generally for the mail exchange ?

>  regards, Robert

Regards,

zeDek
--
main(){printf(&unix["\021%six\012\0"],(unix)["have"]+"fun"-0x60);}