Re: Running X chroot?

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 14:20:17 +0200, Norman Walsh wrote:

> With the (current in unstable) binary incompatibility in libc, I'm
> having trouble getting my old commercial X server running. One
> suggestion was to run it chroot with the old libc libraries. I can see
> how this would theoretically allow me to update the rest of the system.
>
> So I gave it a try, I setup an /AccelX directory with the commercial
> binaries and configuration files and the necessary libraries. It took a
> little fiddling to get /proc mounted under /AccelX and to recreate the
> obviously necessary devices under /AccelX/dev (console, mem, null,
> psaux, tty0, tty7, and xsvc) but I figured it out eventually.

mount --bind /dev /AccelX/dev
mount --bind /proc /AccelX/proc

>   xinit:  No such file or directory (errno 2):  unable to connect to X
>   server xinit:  No such process (errno 3):  Server error.
>
> So clearly applications can't talk to the X server. Because I didn't
> create some necessary device? Because I've overlooked something obvious?
> Clues appreciated.

I guess the apps aren't able to find the X sockets. With my X server
(XF86), those are in /tmp/.X11-unix/. Maybe

	mount --bind /tmp /AccelX/tmp

before launching the X server?

--
Best Regards,   |   Hi! I'm a .signature virus. Copy me into
 Sebastian      |   your ~/.signature to help me spread!