Re: rms on debian

On Wed, 2003-08-20 at 08:05, Rthoreau wrote:
> What gets me is what does the G stand for in GNU?
>
> I get the rest of the saying GNU is Not Unix, but it still does not
> come up with what the G stands for.  At least AFAIK no one has ever
> come up with a good reason for the G other than GNU.  Maybe someone
> can explain it to me who know these things better.  I also thought it
> was a no/no to refer to a name within a name without a definition?

That's why 'GNU' is called a recursive acronym. It's an acronym that
refers to itself. As far as proper English is concerned, recursive
acronyms are 'wrong', but as far as geeks dating back to the MIT AI lab
and earlier, they're considered quite clever. :)

--
Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837