Re: hot boxes and power consumption

A late reply, but I'm just back from vacation:

On 8/11/03 9:45 AM, "tallison@tacocat.net" <tallison@tacocat.net> wrote:

> Even though I have power supplies that add up to >1400 watts I know that
> isn't really the case because the fuses haven't blown.
>
> Does anyone have any information or methods which might determine what a
> "typical" computers power consumption might be?

I spent $40 on a gadget called a Kill A Watt to answer that question, so I
could get some idea what to expect from a UPS.

   http://www.efi.org/products/power/p3watt.html

It turns out that my 250 W K6/2 500 box draws about 80 W running, 40 W
idle.  The 19" monitor draws about 100 W.

Very informative and entertaining gadget.  I recommend it highly.

Bill