Re: SCO identifies code?

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 12:27:17 +0100
"Karl E. Jorgensen" <karl@jorgensen.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 18, 2003 at 06:56:33PM -0700, Bill Moseley wrote:
> > Unfortunately there's a lot of gray area.  Programmers develop tools
> > and idioms for doing common tasks.  Clearly that's something that
> > belongs to the individual programmer and not the company.  If you work
> > for one company developing some network code, you will likely use the
> > same methods writing another program that is also network aware.
>
> Depends: If tools = code, then it is the property of whoever pays.  If
> it is "kept in the head", it's yours. (yes: somebody in the US is bound
> to sue...)

And win.  That last sentence has been invalidated by the U.S. courts.
Somebody already has sued, establishing precedent that if it's "kept in
the head," it still isn't yours, it's the employers.

See

http://www.law.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=OpenMarket/Xcelerate/View&c=LawArticle&cid=1028906396630&live=true&cst=1&pc=0&pa=0

or

http://tinyurl.com/10yd