Re: Problem with rebooting or shutting down the system

On (20/08/03 15:35), Nick Hastings wrote:
> * Hooman <a_linux_newbie@yahoo.ca> [030820 15:14]:
> > Hi,
> > I have recently made my Debian linux working. Now,
> > when I boot the system, I see a login screen in which
> > I can login as a regular user with Gnome or KDE. The
> > problem occurs when I want to logout and reboot or
> > shutdown the system. As I click on logout on both
> > Gnome and KDE, I only get "logout" option. That option
> > returns me back to the login screen and there, I don't
> > know how to get out. Ctrl-Alt-Del doesn't work.
> > Any idea or solution???
>
> There are a number of ways to reboot or halt the computer. I will
> suggest one that I think might be most appropriate for you.
>
> Sounds like you are using xdm for logging in. I believe gdm and/or kdm
> provide a little menu on the "login" screen that let you reboot or
> halt the machine. xdm does not.
>
> Solution: use gdm or kdm.
> HowTo: apt-get install gdm ( or apt-get install kdm)
>
> Note: If you are already using gdm or kdm but see no reboot or halt
> option, then you need to reconfigure them. For example try
> "dpkg-reconfigure -plow gdm". If this does not work, you can configure
> gdm with its own gui: "gdmconfig" (sorry don't know about kdm).

The above will get you a permanent solution but if you just need to
reboot occasionally, you can switch to another virtual terminal
Ctl+ALt+Fnx ie.  Fn1, Fn2, Fn3 or Fn4 this will take you out of the X
(GUI) environment into console where you can type (as root) "shutdown -r now" to
reboot or "shutdown -h now" to shutdown.

HTH

Clive