Problem with rebooting or shutting down the system

Hi,
I have recently made my Debian linux working. Now,
when I boot the system, I see a login screen in which
I can login as a regular user with Gnome or KDE. The
problem occurs when I want to logout and reboot or
shutdown the system. As I click on logout on both
Gnome and KDE, I only get "logout" option. That option
returns me back to the login screen and there, I don't
know how to get out. Ctrl-Alt-Del doesn't work.
Any idea or solution???

=====
Hooman
A newbie in Linux world