explanation of the noise (was Re: Norton AntiVirus detected and quarantined a virus in a message you sent.)

On Tue, Aug 19, 2003 at 09:26:09PM -0400, Peter S Galbraith wrote:
| What's with all these messages today?  Consequence of the worm?

Some people have really broken/misconfigured software in their mail
chain.  That software notices the worm, then figures it is a good idea
to shout "I FOUND IT!  I FOUND IT!" like a 2-year-old to every address
it finds in the headers.  The result is that when a mailing list
dutifully passes on a worm, the list is automatically blasted with
even more noise.  Fun, eh?

For your sanity, I recommend using a bayesian filter[1] and training it
to recognize such noise as spam and filter the spam into a junk
bucket.

-D

[1] spamassassin has this capability, as does spambayes.  I'm
    currently using the latter even though it isn't packaged in
    debian.

--
Misfortune pursues the sinner,
but prosperity is the reward for the righteous.

http://dman13.dyndns.org/~dman/