Re: SCO identifies code? - dont sign it

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003, Jamin W. Collins wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 18, 2003 at 07:51:00PM -0500, Alex Malinovich wrote:
> >
> > Welcome to the wonderful world of 'intellectual property' in the US.
> > As an example here:
> >
> > My previous employer had a contract provision that stated that any and
> > all code I write while employed there was owned by the corporation.
>
> My current employer tried the same tactic.  I refused to sign the
> paperwork until the wording was changed.  Now, they own the code that I
> write explicitly for them, nothing else.  If I write a utility without
> request from them (even if they later make use of it), it belongs to me
> not them.

and that if its rewritten in another programming language, it is excluded
from the task of the company that hired ya

i put down right above my signature and date ..
	"all code written, ideas and implementation belongs to me"

	( i have all the legal rights to do with the "ip" as i see fit
	( other than blatant copy and paste to the "gpl version"

	( you/we/i have how many years prior coding experience ??
	( prior to bumping into the new company that wants your skills

	they dont like my modified clause... than i'll go work for another
	company .. esp if that company is using linux in the first place
	and treats it like its their own development

	and i also always scratchout "i cannot be fired for any reason at
	any time" ...   i want specific reasons to be stated on the exit
	interview if it comes to that point

- hundreds of fun clauses to add/subtract/modify .. fun stuff...
	be careful of these landmines... it will blow up on you ..

c ya
alvin