Re: raid question

On Mon, Aug 18, 2003 at 09:33:08AM +0200, Rudy Gevaert wrote:

> I had already made 3 partions (not in use) on both disk EXT3, and made
> a raid one system with it.  Now I have changed the type to FD (Linux
> raid autodetec).  I could mount it also when being ext3.
>
> Can't I use ext3 on the raid system?

Yes, you can.  When you run mkraid as Alvin suggests, you are binding
physical partitions /dev/hda3 and /dev/hdc3 into a new 'logical'
partition /dev/md0.  The process is perhaps simpler than you are
expecting...
	setup /etc/raidtab as you have done
	mkraid /dev/md0
	mke2fs -j /dev/md0 to create your journalled filesystem
	umount /home
	mount -t ext3 /dev/md0 /home

A side-effect of using RAID-1 (mirroring) is that the partitions
can be accessed individually.  This can be useful in case of emergency,
but you would not normally want to do this as your mirrors will get out
of sync.

<snip>

> Why can't one put a filesystem on it before the raid process?

The horse goes _before_ the cart.

hth,
Patrick.