From: Kent West [mailto:westk@acu.edu]
Sent: den 14 augusti 2003 16:03
To: "Debian Gnu/Linux sändlista eng. (E-mail)"
Subject: Re: Problem with video card when installing debian Gnu/Linux.

Johansson Mikael (mj) wrote:

>Hello.
>
>Hardware:
>AMD Athlon processor 1,2 GHz, 256 MB RAM, 30 GB HD
>Video Card Pro Savage
>
>1. When trying to install Debian Gnu/Linux the video card is
>    not recognized by the installation program. I am asked to
>    install drivers for it. How is this done? When using Win 2000
>    the cd following the motherboard can be executed automatically.
>
>    Even if I find Linux-drivers for this video-card I dont know
>    how to install them properly using debian Gnu/Linux. What is
>    the general way of installing hardware in debian. Is there a
>    special program in the OS that does this and all I have to do
>    is place the proper driver in the proper place.

Ah, you've just run into the single biggest flaw in Debian. It can be
tough to install and set up hardware. But once you've got it going,
Debian is "da bomb"; it's great.

I'm assuming you have installed Stable/Woody. I've had better luck with
hardware "detection" using Unstable/Sid, because it has newer versions
of such things as the X Window System, which tends to do a
better job of
finding video cards. (I'm assuming you're looking for X video drivers.)
However, you may want to stick with Stable until you get your feet wet
(or if this is a server that needs to be rock stable, but then you
probably wouldn't be _needing_ X on there).

Your best bet would be to run "lspci" and post the
video-related part to
this list. The chipset is more important than the name on the video
card, and lspci will hopefully report this info. Then run
"dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86" and at one point you'll be asked
which driver to use. Hopefully the correct driver for your chipset will
be listed. If not, that's beyond me, but re-post at that time with what
you've learned and perhaps others on this list can help out.

>2. I want to set up my computer to run both Linux and Windows.
>    Is this possible?

Absolutely. There's lots of documentation out there for that, but the
short answer is to install Windows first, making sure to leave enough
space free on your hard drive during the partitioning phase (method
depends on version of Windows) for your Linux partitions. Then install
Linux. Then tinker with /etc/lilo.conf and re-run lilo (assuming you're
using the "default" of lilo, and not grub or something else). Then
reboot and there you go. Of course there are other ways to do it, like
if you've already got Windows taking up the entire drive, you can use
something like Partition Magic, or fips if the drive is FAT (not NTFS),
to resize the partition, etc.

This will allow you to choose to boot into Linux or Windows at boot
time. If you want to run Windows within Linux (or vice-versa), that can
be accomplished to, but with more headache and (recommended) more cost
(recommended because VMWare is the route you want to go, although you
could try plex/bochs - I forget today's name for the app, or even other
routes).

--
Kent