Re: xterms with invisible fonts...

On Sat, Aug 16, 2003 at 06:42:52PM +0200, Bruno Boettcher wrote:
| Hello
|
| in the meantime in managed to set up a somehow working X setup, there
| are still some glichtes running around...
|
| the xterm still shows white on white an empty screen,

You can control xterm's colors via the ~/.Xdefaults file.  I like
white-on-black so I have the following lines :

    XTerm*VT100*background:  black
    XTerm*VT100*foreground:  white

Try setting those to colors of your preference and see if that helps.

| also the fonts of the gnome term doesn't seem to know isolatin
| chars? will this be solved by the misterious setting? or do i need
| to install special fonts?

Which gnome-terminal?  The gnome-terminal from gnome 1.4 uses GTK+ 1.2
and that doesn't support multibyte fonts, so you certainly can't use
any Unicode locales with it.  The gnome-terminal starting with gnome
2.0 uses GTK+ 2.0 which has better i18n support, including supporting
Unicode locales.  Personally I like xterm better anyways, but YMMV.

For xterm, include the following in ~/.Xdefaults
    XTerm*utf8:  1
    XTerm*VT100*font: -misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--18-120-100-100-c-90-iso10646-1

In your environment set LANG=en_US.UTF-8 (or something similar), and
in ~/.vimrc include
    language en_US.UTF-8
    set enc=utf-8
    set fenc=utf-8

(the 'language' setting in the .vimrc is in case vim isn't executed
from a subprocess of bash and thus doesn't inherit the $LANG
environment setting in my .bashrc)

HTH,
-D

--
"Don't use C;  In my opinion,  C is a library programming language
 not an app programming language."  - Owen Taylor (GTK+ developer)

http://dman13.dyndns.org/~dman/