Samba running under inetd and init.d

Good Morning,

A few days ago I installed Samba on my Woody box.  All was well for a couple
of days then smbd stopped running with an error message that said port 139
was already in use.  With help from this group I tracked down inetd as the
culprit and sure enough there were lines to start Samba in it.  I was
puzzled and checked /etc/rc3.d and found a script named S20Samba.  It looks
like both the init.d scripts and inetd are trying to run Samba.  I installed
from the stable .deb.  Did I do something wrong?

John Purser