print manager - cups

I have a Xerox Docuprint 4512 laser printer, which has worked with various
distros of Linux.  In some, I have to call it a 4508, as the 4512 driver is
absent, and the 4512N doesn't work.  It is not a PS printer.

Feeling adventurous, I hought i'd try cups with the latest install
(unstable-ish).  I get a readable test print via the printing manager.  QCad
prints to it perfectly normally.  But gimp prints postscript commands (or
maybe it's pdf) one line per page for ever.  Once it has done that, and I
have switched off the printer to save the dwindling supply of forest, the
print queue is locked until I go and find the directory and delete it by
hand.  I cannot remove the job using the print manager - "You don't have
access to the requested resources".  (Seems like the opposite of Kenward
Vaughan's problem).  I have put my username in group lpadmin to no avail. I
thought I would give up and go back to LP/LPRng, which seemed to work fine
under Woody.  No joy there either - when I select LP/LPRng in print manager
there is no option to add a printer, and the xerox isn't listed.

CUPS manual doesn't seem to say anything helpful and understandable to me.
Nothing else obviously relevant on Google.  Perhaps my printer is not
supported by cups.  But if so, how do I get back to reaching it via lp?

Any ideas?

--
richard