Re: Is there ANY .pdf format editor for Linux with a WYSIWYG GUI

On Sun, 2003-08-17 at 06:24, Wayne Gemmell wrote:
> On Saturday 16 August 2003 22:32, David Monarres wrote:
> > On Friday 15 August 2003 06:43 pm, John Foster wrote:
> > >
> > > I want to locate an editor that will run on Linux that will handle .pdf
> > > flie format. I really am only interested in one with a WYSIWYG  GUI
> > > frontend. I just tried kile & it seeems to be partially there but does
> > > not appear to have a WYSIWYG mode for its editor.  Anyone have any
> > > suggestions?  Commercial is OK.
> >
> > I believe that the koffice beta supports pdf editing, and as with all kde
> > apps, you can print to pdf using kprinter.
>
> I might be way off track here but isn't the point of pdfs that you can't edit
> them?

They can be locked to prevent future editing, but I was always under the
impression the point of PDF was to represent the document as it should
appear on paper .. whereas formats such as HTML leave much of the
appearance to the screen/renderer.

I've come across the type of file the OP meant, and if you think of
forms as "the 600 pieces of paper you fill out every time you interact
with the government" rather than something like HTML forms, you get the
idea. They have editable regions where you'd normally use a pen, so you
can either print them and do it by hand, or type straight into the form
on-screen and print it afterwards. Quite useful when your handwriting is
as bad as mine, and especially when they require triplicate.

The overall effect is similar to taking such forms and putting them
through a (real) typewriter.

fwiw, I used Adobe's Acrobat for windows (the full app, not just Reader,
but it'd be worth seeing if that works first). Not the most ethical
choice, but in this case, The tool for the job.

Regards,
  Shaun