Debian and Emacs

Hi,

I am using Debian unstable with Emacs. I edit files via Tramp, so I can
SSH into the developmental servers and edit files through there. However,
every so often, Emacs locks up for a few seconds with en error such as
this:

auto-saving <filename>: opening output file no such file or directory
/home/rlb/emacs-xx.xx/devel/#filename#

How can I make this not happen?

Thank you very much.