Re: Woody Stable Kernel

Hello

Stephane (<delazure@free.fr>) wrote:

> Le Sat, 16 Aug 2003 11:36:07 +0200
> Andreas Janssen <andreas.janssen@bigfoot.com> a dit:
>
>> Recent packages are not affected by the ptrace bug. This was
>> corrected with version
>> kernel-image-2.4.18-bf2.4_2.4.18-5woody1_i386.deb (DSA 311-1).
>
> OK this sounds good to me. But I'm wondering something else now: the
> ptrace exploit was a severe security flaw, so how comes my 2.4.18bf2.4
> does not get upgraded when I apt-get update with the security source
> in my source-list ?

Because the package management does not know of the install kernel.
Because normally you would instead install some kernel image built for
your architecture after installing the base system.

> And even why the last ISOs you grab of Woody R01
> do not have the right kernel ? Or am I all wrong ?

Simply because Woody R1 was released before the ptrace bug was known (or
at least before it was fixed). The security updates will be part of the
next revision.

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

--