Re: Woody Stable Kernel

Hello

W.D. McKinney (<dee@akwireless.net>) wrote:

> Just loaded up Woody on a Compaq server and I have
> # uname -r
> 2.4.18-bf2.4
>
> I assume from the Security updates there should be a updated kernel ?
> Yet using :
>
> /etc/apt/sources.list
> [...]
> deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main contrib non-free
>
> shows no update available ? What course should be taken ?

The installation kernel is not known to the package management. Do
apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.18-bf2.4
This will install the latest version which should be
kernel-headers-2.4.18-bf2.4_2.4.18-5woody4_i386.deb. Please note that
one of the DSAa stated that the kernel update is incompatible to
modules compiled for the 2.4.18-bf2.4 kernel from Woody r0 and r1, so
if you use custom kernel modules you probably have to recompile them.

There are also hardware architecture specific kernel images available
like kernel-image-2.4.18-686-1 or kernel-image-2.4.18-k7-1 which you
maybe want to use instead of the installation kernel.

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

--
Andreas Janssen