Re: exim does not add domain to outgoing addresses...

On Fri, Aug 15, 2003 at 11:02:35PM +0200, Rainer Dorsch wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am running a exim on my host silverboxy. I have an alias file, which
> contains e.g.
>
> testmail: rdorsch@web.de
>
> When I send now a mail to testmail, The To: field looks like
>
> testmail@silverboxy
>
> without any domain name, though dnsdomainname gives the right answer:
>
> rd@silverboxy:/var/www/photos$ dnsdomainname
> homelinux.org
>
> Any clue, what could be wrong?

You might want to be a bit more precise. What is it that you want to do?
Forward every mail sent to testmail to rdorsch@web.de? I do not
understand why you want to do such a thing, but in that case make sure
you have a user testmail added to your system and edit his .forward
file. For example, if you have:

\testmail
rdorsch@web.de

then the mail is stored in testmail's inbox _and_ it is forwarded to
rdorsch@web.de, which actually _does_ make sense.

If you want to send a mail _from_ testmail this is a whole different
matter (already answered in a previous post).

You said:
> When I send now a mail to testmail, The To: field looks like
>
> testmail@silverboxy

Did you compose a mail in a MUA, and does that MUA say: To:
testmail@silverboxy? Or did you send the mail _and_ picked it up in
testmail's inbox and _there_ it said To: testmail@silverboxy? This is a
whole different matter, of course. The behaviour you describe (in both
interpretations) is the default behaviour. Your mail is delivered
locally, so no domainname is necessary (of course, you _could_ tell exim
to _only_ use domainnames instead of hostnames, useful in a network).

David

--
Hi! I'm a .signature virus. Copy me into
your ~/.signature to help me spread!