Using an older libc for one app

I'm running unstable and the latest libc upgrade has caused me problems
with vmware 3.2 (see bug report #205328). The problem is with libc6
2.3.2. Vmware runs fine with 2.3.1.

It looks like there's been some ABI breakage with regard to threads in
that minor upgrade.

As an attempt to work around this, I've taken libc6 2.3.1 and extracted
the libraries into /opt/vmware/libc-2.3.1. I then wrote a wrapper script
to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH so that /opt/vmware/libc-2.3.1 was first, and
then launch the vmware executable.

This does not work, because vmware is setuid root, and LD_LIBRARY_PATH
is ignored for setuid programs.

How can I force vmware to use my older version of libc in
/opt/vmware/libc-2.3.1?