Re: Is there ANY .pdf format editor for Linux with a WYSIWYG GUI

On Fri, Aug 15, 2003 at 08:43:24PM -0500, John Foster wrote:
> I want to locate an editor that will run on Linux that will handle .pdf
> flie format. I really am only interested in one with a WYSIWYG  GUI
> frontend. I just tried kile & it seeems to be partially there but does
> not appear to have a WYSIWYG mode for its editor.  Anyone have any
> suggestions?  Commercial is OK.

This is a common question. It's kind of funny really. Almost every
single Unix/Gnu/Linux editor in the world can output to PostScript
(.ps), and there are several program that will convert ps to pdf. So use
any WYSYWYGY editor you want and then print to a ps file. Then run
ps2pdf on that file.

One of the most WISIGY is OpenOffice.org (if it's not available in your
version of Debian (might not be in stable yet) you can download it from
openoffice.org), in my experience it's about as good as Microsoft
Office. It even handles reading and writing Microsoft Office documents
reasonably well. I've heard that recent versions even allow you to
output *directly* to *pdf*.

P.S. pdf is an output format. You can edit pdf directly, but it's kind
of dirty :) It's like instead of using vector graphics software
(sodipodi) or diagram drawing software (dia, visio) and then saving as
jpeg or tiff, you edit jpeg or tiff directly (using the gimp). Doing
that isn't necessarily wrong, but in most cases it's too low level.

Hope that helps,
Bijan