Re: wireless recommendations

On Fri, 15 Aug 2003, nori heikkinen wrote:

> hey all,
>
> my roommate (who has a laptop) and i are thinking about either running
> cables all the way around our apartment, or setting up a wireless
> point from my debian box.  i'd enjoy doing the latter, but before i
> buy the hardware, i thought i'd check with my most valuable
> information source about what debianites are happy with in terms of
> brands, models, &c.
>
> any particular suggestions / references / aversions?

You should google for more information, but from what I've seen,
orinoco and prisms are the most popular and widely supported wireless
cards.

I've looked into it, but there was several factors that made me stay
away from it:

1) cost - wireless is more expensive then wired
2) security - even with `strong' WEP, a wireless link is easily
	compromized.  If you really care about your security,
	wireless needs either an encrypted tunnel or IPSEC, and the
	wireless segment should be firewalled.[1]
3) speed - 100mbit twisted pair will be faster then wireless.

~ Jesse Meyer, tripping over cables left around the house

[1] I'm overly paranoid, I know.

--
         icq: 34583382 / msn: dasunt@hotmail.com / yim: tsunad

   "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we
    pretend to be." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr : Mother Night