Inspiron laptop, framebuffer console

Hey folks-

I finally got a framebuffer console to actually WORK on my Inspiron
4100 with its GeForce2 GO under Sarge 2.4.21 by compiling with only
VESA framebuffer and 16-color VGA framebuffer support in the kernel.

Now, though, the framebuffer works fine until the screen goes to sleep
for a moment and then when it comes back on, it seems to think that
the first line of the console is 3/4 of the way down the screen. I
tried to `reset`, but that didn't change a thing. When I Ctrl-L to
clear the display, the prompt goes right to that line 3/4 of the way
down. It wraps around, though, when I do a long ls -al, it'll come
back to the top and continue to draw down the screen.

What's going on here! It's deviously hard to find others with my
particular laptop because the ATI Rage version was much more popular.

My lilo.conf stanza looks like this:

image=/vmlinuz
	label=Linux
	vga=791