vncserver not sourcing .xinitrc

My computer went down (with the rest of New York) yesterday evening.
After booting, there was nothing in /lost+found, so I'm optimistic.
However, now when I start vncserver with:
vncserver :1 -geometry 800x600 -alwaysshared
it does not source my .xinitrc

All I get is a blank X desktop, not even an xterm. Is there a way to
specify commands to run when I start it? I've read the vncserver and
Xvnc man pages. I tried tacking it onto the end of the command line, but
then it just died instantly with no error messages.

Anyone know what's up?
--
-johann koenig
Now Playing: The Presidents Of The United States Of America - Kick Out